Economic & Business Development
Welcome to Beverly!
The City of Beverly is a spectacular location to live, work, play, learn and grow your business. Explore our economic development web page to learn more about Beverly's vibrant economy, many amenities, natural beauty and welcoming neighborhoods. Please get in touch with Denise Deschamps via email or by phone at 978-605-2356 if you have questions about Beverly, the permitting process, retail/commercial space for sale (PDF) or lease (PDF), and more. If you want to see where these properties are located in Beverly and discover other facts use our robust GIS system. To artists and all creatives remember that Beverly has an incredibly active ARTS AND CULTURAL DISTRICT right downtown-a perfect place for you to locate!
Please click here for the May 2021 issue of the North Shore Diversity Catalog which lists self-identified minority and women-owned businesses (MWOB) in Beverly and several other North Shore Communities. For the purposes of this catalog MWOB was defined as businesses in the greater North Shore region with at least 51% of the ownership team falling under at least one of the following categories: immigrant-owned, women-owned, minority-owned, service-disabled veteran-owned, veteran-owned, lesbian gay bisexual or transgendered (LGBTQIA) owned, disability-owned business enterprise.
Beverly Profile and Resources
If you are considering starting a business and/or locating your business in Beverly please take a moment to review two brief documents: (1) a profile of Beverly; (2) a brochure regarding the resources available and the tools you will need to start a business. Then, please call us, and we will make every effort to answer your questions and help guide you through this process. We are also very fortunate to have several organizations in the area that hold informational seminars and provide one-to-one assistance with business plan development. Check out the Enterprise Center, the Center for Women and Enterprise, Massachusetts Small Business Development Center and SCORE, to name a few. See the Local Agencies for Business page for additional resource information.
New Artist in Residence (AiR) Pilot Program!
The Beverly Arts District (BAD), through the City of Beverly and its partners, is excited to announce the City’s first Artist in Residence pilot program. Through this pilot program, the selected artist will be provided with studio space in the Beverly Arts District at no cost to the artist as well as a monthly stipend to support the artist’s work. The City is seeking one (1) creative individual to fill the position of Artist in Residence, lasting for a term of approximately three (3) months.
The 2021 Artist in Residence pilot program serves to contribute to the recovery of the Beverly Arts District, located in downtown Beverly, from the impacts of COVID-19, with the following goals:
- Activate a vacant storefront as a part-time artist’s studio and attract foot-traffic to the Beverly Arts District.
- Provide stipend to an artist.
- Feature the City’s COVID-19 recovery in art, whether it be in the art pieces, through community engagement, a gallery show, or preferably a combination.
Artists Apply Here!
Application deadline is Sunday, July 11, 2021 by 10:00pm. Contact Planning Director, Darlene Wynne with any questions.
Re-Opening in Beverly
New Outdoor Dining Policy
If you own a restaurant and would like to create outdoor dining space or expand existing outdoor dining space please complete the application below. Directions on completing the application are included in the application document. There is also a separate list of frequently asked questions.
- Beverly Outdoor Dining Application 2020-06-02 (PDF)
- Massachusetts Sector Specific Workplace Safety Standards - Restaurants as of June 8, 2020 (PDF)
- Outdoor Dining FAQ 2020-06-03 (PDF)
- Watch the project review team meeting regarding outdoor dining
Downtown Parking Locations & Fees
The City has created a website, Park Beverly, devoted to parking in the downtown Beverly area in order to make the experience as easy and convenient as possible. Please visit Park Beverly to learn more convenient parking locations and methods of payment, including coins, credit cards and the remote GoParkit app.
Re-Opening in Massachusetts
Governor Baker and Lieutenant Governor Polito launched a 4-phased re-opening plan. Please visit the Commonwealth of Massachusetts website for details.
Included in that plan are (amongst other standards and best practices):
- Mandatory Safety Standards for Work Places
- Massachusetts authorizes on-premises licensees to sell malt beverages and wine for off-premises consumption for the duration of the Governor's declared state of emergency, issued March 10, 2020
- Massachusetts Safety Standards and Checklist for Restaurants
- Massachusetts Safety Standards and Checklist for Retail Businesses
- Massachusetts Sector-Specific Protocols and Best Practices
- Attention: Massachusetts Life Science Center offering competitive capital programs aimed at workforce development and training, research and development, and manufacturing. Applications available.
- Blue Economy and Innovation: Read this article about a collaborative effort North of Boston focused on sustaining and growing sustainable ocean-based industry in Essex County's coastal communities.
- City of Beverly has a designated opportunity zone (PDF).
- View a map highlighting commercial and industrial zones and points of interest (JPG).
- Beverly Economic Development is starting off 2020 by highlighting the Boston Region Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) and the group of transportation experts that support the MPO, the Central Transportation Planning Staff (CTPS). The CTPS conducts research and authors reports on issues of critical importance to the communities comprising the Boston Region MPO. Learn more about what they do and the reports and data available via their Information Center.
- The Enterprise Center introduces its Late Winter/Early Spring calendar of informational/educational seminars for existing and prospective business owners. Please take a look at their schedule.