New Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection (MassDEP) rules require mattresses and textiles be kept out of the trash so they can be recycled or donated for reuse. These items are no longer accepted in weekly household trash as a bulk item.
Getting rid of a mattress or box spring? Beverly residents have the following options:
- Contact the store from where your new mattress will be delivered and request that they remove your old mattress during delivery.
- NEW! Curbside mattress pick-up: The City of Beverly has contracted with Tough Stuff Recycling to offer mattress pick-up and recycling services. Beverly residents can schedule a pick-up at a discounted rate of $30/mattress and/or $30/box spring. *Carefully review the instructions and the guidelines for pickup below .
- Drop off your mattress at a recycling facility. The closest facilities are UTEC ($30/unit) in Lowell, MA and Tough Stuff ($22/unit) in Fitchburg, MA. Both require a scheduled drop-off appointment.
DONATE OR REGIFT
Many people could benefit from a mattress in good condition - consider finding a home for your gently used mattress through Facebook Marketplace, Craigslist, NextDoor, etc.
80% of your mattress can be reused including the metal, foam padding, cotton and wooden frames. Upcycling your mattress is a great way to give your mattress a second life. Most mattress can be broken down for individual parts, which can often be sold or re-used for DIY projects (e.g., dog beds).
Additional information from MassDEP can be found at https://www.mass.gov/service-details/mattress-recycling
*HOW TO SCHEDULE AND PAY FOR A CURBSIDE MATTRESS PICK UP with TOUGH STUFF
1) Schedule an appointment and pay for for curbside pick up with Tough Stuff Recycling, use the form below or call 978-307-4118
2) Pick up a FREE mattress bag from the Engineering Department at City Hall (191 Cabot Street, second floor). Only after you have paid and scheduled an appointment with Tough Stuff, will you be eligible to pick up a free bag. You will be asked to show purchase receipt- how much you paid (email) at that time. Bags are not available without proof of a purchase receipt- how much you paid (email). No exceptions. Bags are not for sale.
3) Review guidelines for pick up and place mattress or box spring curbside in the bag provided by 7 AM on the day of your appointment.
Mattress and Box Spring Conforming Guidelines for Pick-Up
An acceptable or “conforming unit” is defined as:
In order to eligible for Pick-Up, a mattress must be:
- Free of bed bugs or other insects/vermin
- Not heavily soiled (can handle some wear and tear)
- Dry – Lightly damp is acceptable
- Free of human bodily fluids
- Removed from any solid waste, trash, debris or other refuse.
- Enclosed in a mattress bag
- Placed at the curbside, not at the front door or in the front yard.
What is not allowed for Pick-Up:
- Mattress toppers
- Bed frames
- Pillows or other bedding