I'm behind on rent and facing eviction. How can I get help?

Help paying your rent

Are you having trouble paying your rent, mortgage or utility bills? Have you lost your job or lost income? Are you at risk of becoming homeless? 

You may be eligible to receive help with paying your rent, mortgage or utility bills. Massachusetts offers emergency housing payment assistance administered through regional agencies that can assist low-income renters, homeowners, and landlords. Renters and landlords can access the Residential Assistance for Families in Transition (RAFT) program, which can cover utilities, moving costs, and overdue rent costs, as well as future rent in limited situations. Homeowners may be eligible to receive assistance through the Homeowners Assistance Fund (HAF). Learn more about HAF here. 

Access to Free Legal Help

Regional legal aid programs assist low-income tenants with referrals, legal information, and legal representation for  evictions statewide. Please see https://www.mass.gov/info-details/eviction-diversion-initiative-legal-services-and-mediation for more information. 

A lawyer can advise you about the law, refer you to resources, fill out and file court papers, and represent you. A lawyer can help advise you before a case gets to court or if a case is in court. The earlier you contact a lawyer the better. 

Mediation between you and your Landlord

Massachusetts Community Mediation Centers are offering free pre-court mediation between landlords and tenants for lease disputes in addition to the summary process cases referred through the courts. 

Mediation is a confidential, voluntary and non-judgmental process where a neutral third party (the mediator) helps people resolve differences based on what is important to them. 

Beverly's local mediation center is: 


Serving Essex County

100 Cummings Center Suite 307J   |   (978) 232-1212

Show All Answers

1. How do get my landlord to make repairs?
2. How do I document bad conditions in my home and request repairs from my landlord?
3. My landlord is increasing my rent. What can I do?
4. I'm behind on rent and facing eviction. How can I get help?